Wednesday, April 6, 2011

What a way to celebrate NIAW!

        As I mentioned in my first post, Resolve, the National Infertility Association, is holding a National Infertility Awareness week on April 24-30th.   The purpose of this national week is to raise awareness for infertility, which affects  1 in 8 women and men.  Infertility is not considered important or truly a disease by many people, especially those in legislature.   The ability to have children is viewed as a privilege not a right.  If a couple desires to have a child but cannot, many feel that it is not an issue for public concern.  Others worry that covering infertility with medical insurance will raise insurance prices to high, when in it reality it may raise it a dollar or two at most. It is the goal of RESOLVE to try to educate this people and get some infertility laws on the books.
        PETA (People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals) have decided that this is an issue that they want to stand behind and honor, or at least that is what they are saying.  Here is a screen cap (thank you Lauren for teaching me this) of their site and the contest they set up for NIAW:

Obviously PETA feels that human overpopulation is impacting the animal world and it is better to sterilize than to actually support NIAW.  I believe in some of the good work that PETA does, but I definitely feel as they often go to the extreme.  This is one of those moments.
     It is clear that PETA did not think about what impact this would have on all the men and women battling with this very heartwrenching and difficult disease.  They are simply piggy-backing on the honorable intentions set forth by RESOLVE.   Sadly with this stunt, many people who would not think or talk about PETA (see most IF blogs) are now thinking and talking about PETA.  Even though I do not want to send PETA anymore publicity, I felt this was an important enough message to spread to the readers of this blog (few as you may be).
    If you feel so inclined, email PETA president Ingrid Newkirk at ingridn@peta.org.

   Before I get too upset, I thought I would give you an update on me.  When I last posted, we were in a battle with our insurance over covering our IVF.   Monday I received a call from my infertility clinic and they just received notice that the insurance company reconsidered and has okayed us for three IVFs (hopefully one will do the job).  I was able to start the process Monday evening as well.  As odd as it may seem, the first step was taking birth control pills for about two weeks.  I never thought going back on birth control would help have a child, when I used it for so many years to avoid this very outcome.  After this comes medication, lots of it, all that needs to taken via injection.   I will officially be a pin cushion after this is done.   All thoughts and prayers are more than welcome.

No comments: