Monday, July 20, 2015

It's officially starting!

I went in for testing bright and early this morning for what is called baseline testing.  This blood test and ultrasound checks to make sure that all the hormone levels are normal and everything in the uterus and ovaries is clear.

Like everything else with IVF, it is a process of hurry up and wait.  I woke up at 5:30 to make sure I got to the clinic in time to get the early morning testing done.  Then I had to wait until the nurse calls later in the day.  Thankfully I had swim class and some pool time to keep me occupied. However, if all the pregnant ladies who have toddlers Olivia's age could stay home, I would appreciate it.  Just another reminder that all we have to go through is NOT how most couples grow their families.

I received good news from the nurse.  Everything looks good, so I can start my stimulating medication (Gonal F) tonight.  In fact everything looks so good, I will take a lower dosage than originally prescribed.  The doctor said there were quite a few follicles ready to grown in both ovaries, so she wanted to go slower than in my previous cycle.  This is where IVF is a fine science.  You want multiple follicles to grow and mature, but too many follicles growing can lead to poor quality or a condition call Ovarian Hyperstimulation Syndrome, which can be very dangerous.

I now get to take two shots per day.  I have been taking 10 units of Lupron every morning for the last 13 days.  The shots really aren't that bad.  It is a small needle that goes right under the skin.
This is the drug that will keep me from ovulating all those mature eggs prior to egg retrieval.  Starting tomorrow morning, my dosage will drop to 5 units.

My other shot will take place in the evening.  Gonal F is a delivered by a "pen".  The pen has 900 iu of the medication.  You set the medication on the pen, put on a new needle, and it is ready to inject the needed amount.
Right now I will be starting with 187 units.  I go back into the clinic on Friday for more blood work and ultrasound and will continue to do so every other day (and even every day close to egg retrieval).  These appointments will be to test the estrogen level in my blood and to count and measure the follicles in my ovaries. Based on these appointments, my medication dosage may be increased or decreased accordingly.

This is the time period of an IVF cycle that become busy again.  It is a lot of appointments and a lot of medication.  My job is to make sure that I stay a relaxed as possible.  And to help make my body as ready as I can.  That means eating and drinking all sorts of "fertility" foods.  I'm all prepared with my fertility tea, pomegranate juice, avocados, nuts, and lots of eggs.  Who knows if any of this actually does anything; it give me some feeling of control during a very difficult process.

No comments: